SLEEP APNEA FACTS
What Can You Do?
Oral appliance therapy is the leading alternative treatment for obstructive sleep apnea, and Dr. Becerra is certified to perform this treatment. He will help you determine the appropriate therapy based on your medical history, oral exam, and personal needs.
If you've been diagnosed with mild to moderate sleep apnea, or have severe sleep apnea and cannot wear a CPAP, you've come to the right place! Dr. Becerra can construct an oral appliance that will help keep your airway open as you sleep, helping you feel relaxed and rejuvenated following sleep instead of tired!
Mandibular Advancement Device (MAD)
- Mask worn over the face at night
- Hose attached to a machine
- Restricted movement
- Uncomfortable to sleep in
- Noise from blowing air into face mask
- Difficult to travel with
- Limits sleeping positions
- Retainer-like appliance worn over teeth
- Small, comfortable and portable
- Protects teeth against damage from clenching and grinding
- No noise, hose or replacement parts
- Does not require electricity
- Can be worn while flying on an airplane, camping, hunting, or at home
- You can sleep on your side, stomach or back when you use an oral appliance
Are snoring and sleep apnea the same thing?
No. Snoring is a noise made while sleeping due to the vibrations of a narrow airway. Obstructive sleep apnea occurs when the throat closes and you stop breathing. Sleep apnea is deadly. Snoring is loud and annoying.
Who can get sleep apnea?
Anyone can develop sleep apnea, and the following are risk factors:
- 40-60 years old
- Drinking alcohol
- Large tonsils, adenoids, tongue, uvula or small jaw
- Nasal congestion, sinus problems, or allergies
- Family history of OSA
- Poor muscle tone in oral structures
- Smoking or regular exposure to smoke
How can obstructive sleep apnea decrease quality of life?
OSA can cause daytime fatigue causing individuals to doze off while driving or at work due to insufficient rest. It can also cause those with sleep apnea to wake up choking, gasping, or snorting during the night. Others will have to go the bathroom regularly during the night and experience a decreased sex drive. Morning headaches, difficulty concentrating, and acid reflux may also occur. Oxygen deprivation as a result of OSA can contribute to depression, heart disease, high blood pressure, and other health problems.
Who will have access to my information?
NO ONE ELSE! We get it! We don't like when our information is shared, so we won't sell or share yours! All assessment results will be sent to a representative of Alpine Dental Arts where it will be kept confidential.
★ ★ ★ ★ ★
Take Our Sleep Assessment!
Take our sleep assessment to determine if you might be a candidate for sleep apnea treatment! This screening measures your obstructive sleep apnea (OSA) risk level.
Your sleep assessment will be strictly confidential. No one other than our team at Alpine Dental Arts will have access to your information. All assessment results will be sent directly to a representative of Alpine Dental Arts and will be kept confidential.
1. Do you snore?
2. Do you often feel tired, fatigued or sleepy during the daytime?
3. Has anyone observed you stop breathing or gasping for air during your sleep?
4. Do you have or are you being treated for high blood pressure?
5. Are you over 50 years old?
6. Is your neck circumference greater than 16 inches (40cm)?
7. Are you male?
8. Do you weigh more for your height than is shown in the table below?
Disclaimer: All material and information presented are intended for educational purposes only. It is not intended as a means to diagnose, treat, cure or prescribe for any condition or disease. You assume all responsibility for the treatment which may be undertaken as a result of the information on this site, or treatment recommended by any other party. All health ailments should be treated by a doctor or qualified health professional. By selecting "See Results Below" you are agreeing to submit your contact information to a representative of Alpine Dental Arts.
Your results show you're at a low risk of having Obstructive Sleep Apnea. For more information, or to schedule a more comprehensive screening, please call our office.
Your results show you're at an intermediate risk level of having Obstructive Sleep Apnea. We strongly advise that you take an additional screening for a proper diagnosis. We would be happy to schedule a time to meet with you to go over this in more detail.
Your results show you're in high-risk of having Obstructive Sleep Apnea. We strongly advise scheduling a complimentary consultation for a proper diagnosis. Please call our office and we will happily walk through the next steps with you.
Meet Dr. Becerra
Dr. Justin Becerra is a Patient Focused dentist who attended some of the most prestigious dental education programs in the nation. Serving the Lakewood, Englewood, Arvada, Littleton, Morrison, and Denver, CO communities, Dr. Becerra takes true pride in putting his patients first, always. At Alpine Dental Arts, he provides comprehensive dental treatments, examinations, and procedures to enhance and maintain the oral and dental health of his patients.